Parent Relocation In Overland Park

The Kansas City metro area spans two states. Due to the close proximity of Missouri and Kansas, parents in Johnson, Jackson and Clay counties often move across state borders. In some cases, moves may raise relocation issues that spark child custody and support modifications.

Located in Leawood, Sarah Carmody Law, LLC, helps parents modify their custody, visitation and support orders when one parent relocates.

Relocation: Affecting Parent-Child Relationships

Career opportunities, education and family obligations often make it necessary to move. When minor children are involved, the relocation process can become complex.

If you or your child's other parent plans to relocate outside of the Kansas City metro area, certain legal steps must be followed. Failure to follow the proper steps could result in an unfavorable result in court.

Nonrelocating parents then have an opportunity to oppose the move. If a petition is filed to prevent the move, a court will determine whether the move is in the best interests of minor children.

At Sarah Carmody Law, LLC, I help both, parents wishing to relocate with their children and those hoping to prevent the move. I also help military men and women modify their custody and visitation schedules when relocated to a new base or deployed overseas.

As a father, it may be nearly impossible to stop a relocation if your child was born outside of marriage and you have not yet established your rights. There are steps you must take to establish paternity and protect your rights as a father.

Shawnee Support Modification Attorney

When one parent decides to relocate, the entire family is affected and custody, visitation and support obligations may need to be modified.

In addition to relocation, other life events may make modifications necessary. Increases or decreases in income, changes in parenting time and other life circumstances may also make it necessary to adjust child support, custody and visitation orders.

Serving Kansas City area communities including Mission and Overland Park, Kansas, I — attorney Sarah Carmody — help parents modify their existing parenting plans and support orders to reflect the realities of today's life.

For assistance with child support modifications or parental relocation, contact me, lawyer Sarah Carmody, at 913-624-9076 or 800-583-3135.